Sunday, December 2, 2007

CHAOS SPACE MARINES versus Feral Orks

Game: Warhammer 40,000 3rd edition
Opponent:
Steve
Mission: Cleanse
1st turn: ?
Points:
1000
Date: 03/06/2003

Chaos Space Marines
  • Daemon prince Lamprey - Mark of Chaos Undivided, Daemonic Stature
  • Squad Hotep – 9 Chaos Space Marines, Mark of Tzeentch, Aspiring Champion, Bolt pistol and close combat weapon, Bolt of Change, Talisman of Tzeentch
  • Squad Surculus - 5 Possessed, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Daemonic Talons
  • Squad Infractis – 7 Chaos Marines, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Bolt pistols and Close combat weapons, 2 x Plasma Pistols, Aspiring Champion with Power fist
  • Squad Profuge - 7 Chaos Marines, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Bolt guns, 2 x Plasma guns
  • Atrocitor - Dreadnought, Twin-linked Lascannons
  • Squad Imber - 5 Havocs, Mark of Chaos Undivided, bolt guns, 3 x Heavy Bolt guns
Feral Orks
  • Warboss + retinue in squiggoth
  • 120 Orks!
Terrain and deployment
Fortunately for Steve he won the deployment roll because it allowed him the space to set up his army – even then it covered his entire deployment zone.

The game
The Orks simply ploughed forward regardless of casualties and in a flurry of good shooting took out my dreadnought and daemon prince. Although I poured fire into the squiggoth it survived with one remaining wound and it ran forward to deliver the Warboss into combat with my Possessed. The possessed were destroyed to a man and then the Warboss and squiggoth hit the Tzeentch squad, locking both units in combat.

On my other flank I was simply swamped by Boyz who, with a BS of 3, were out-shooting my havocs. Despite three heavy bolters and numerous bolters I couldn’t even dent the horde and they wiped the survivors out in close combat. A panelling!

Result: Loss

Commendations
  • None.
Turning point
Not downing the Squiggoth.

Learning points
  • The Feral Ork army is tough! Conventional wisdom says that maxing out on heavy support can win you the battle before playing the game but this army shows how effective an all troop based army can be.
  • I tried a right hook with my close combat elements to leave the left flank clear for my shooting elements but I was hammered on both fronts. Maybe better mobility would have allowed me to launch an attack on my terms, or at least let me stay out of the Ork clutches.
  • My Daemon prince went down to three slugga shots. Doh! I knew there was a reason I bought him the 2+ save in previous games. Oh well, I’ll persevere in at least one more game and see if he is any luckier.

No comments:

Post a Comment