Tuesday, December 11, 2007

CHAOS SPACE MARINES versus Chaos Space Marines

Game: Warhammer 40,000 4th edition
Opponent:
Gary
Mission: Cleanse
Level: Gamma
1st turn: Chaos Space Marines (Gary)
Points:
1000
Location: Insolitus, The Halasus Marches
Background:
988.M41 The Exigators respond in force to rescue the citizens of Stolidus from the invading Slaaneshi Marines. Unfortunately, the Exigators can't drive off the Slaaneshi Marines who are securely dug in to the ruins of the town. More enemy Marines drop to the surface to strengthen their presence on Insolitus and the Exigators realise they may be facing a full scale invasion.

Chaos Space Marines (lone pilgrim)
  • Chaos Lord Ferocitor - Mark of Chaos Undivided, Daemonic Stature, Daemonic Speed, 2 Close combat weapons, Frag grenades
  • 2 Obliterators
  • Squad Infractis – 8 Chaos Marines, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Bolt pistols and Close combat weapons, Aspiring Champion with Power fist
  • Squad Profuge - 5 Chaos Marines, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Bolt guns, Plasma gun, Lascannon
  • Squad Abraxar - 5 Chaos Marines, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Bolt guns, Plasma gun, Missile Launcher
  • Squad Krall - 5 Chaos Marines, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Bolt guns, Plasma gun, Lascannon
  • 8 Furies
  • Squad Imber - 6 Havocs, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Bolt guns, 4 Heavy Bolters
Chaos Space Marines (Gary)
  • Lord with Daemonic Speed, Dark Blade, Combat Drugs, Daemonic Strength, Bolt pistol
  • 6 infiltrating Marines with Bolt pistols and close combat weapons, Aspiring champion with Daemonic Talons
  • 5 Havocs with 4 Missile Launchers
  • Defiler with indirect fire and mutated hull
  • 6 Marines with Lascannon and Plasma gun
  • 2 units of 6 Daemonettes
Terrain and Deployment
This was to be my third game against Gary's Chaos army. I had won one and lost one and had since tweaked my army list, so I was hoping to do well. Yet again I lost the roll to determine starting quarters (are my dice rolls cursed as well as my geneseed?). I deployed in an 'L' formation with my assaulters on the left. Gary had won the roll for infiltrators too, and had snatched the large forest on my right for his own assault troops.

The game
Gary won the first turn. He gutted squad Imber and reduced squad Krall below half strength. I concentrated most of my firing onto the assault troops advancing on my right. Despite my best efforts Gary managed to reach combat and summon in a Daemonette squad to help out. My Furies zoomed in to finish off the Slaaneshi attack but they were shot to pieces by subsequent enemy fire.

On the left, my own assault element was soundly duffed over by Gary's tooled up Lord, his second Daemonette squad and the deadly accurate Defiler.

A thorough beating.

Result:
Loss - Decisive defeat

Commendations
  • Furies.
Learning points
  • Not the best confidence booster with what was my final list for The Gauntlet tournament. My main problem was deployment again. Winning a dice roll for the first placement of infiltrators would help massively. Oh well, I just hope the dice are saving themselves for later.
  • It seems like Gary's army has the beating of mine - his ordnance, missile launchers and Lord are perfect for taking out small, elite Marine forces. I just hope I don't have to face him at the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment