Campaign: Phoenix campaign game 8
1st turn: Eldar
Location: Emerald Ridge (location 6), Tyro Peninsula, Kutch, Salazar systems
Background: Chaos reinforcements sweep into Newalla town and then push on back up onto Emerald Ridge. The Eldar focus their defence around Promethium storage tanks which the Exigators are desperate to recapture.
Chaos Space Marines
- Chaos Lord Sebastian Jaxx - Bike, Lightning Claw, Personal Icon
- Squad Krall – 10 Chaos space marines, plasma gun, lascannon, aspiring champion with powerfist, icon of chaos glory, Rhino with Extra Armour
- Squad Myre - 8 Chosen, 2 plasma guns, aspiring champion with powerfist
- Ppbhuln'naks - Greater Daemon (Great Unclean One - I forgot the model so had to use my Daemon Prince model instead)
- Squad Kanker - 7 Plague marines, plasma gun, flamer, aspiring champion with power weapon, personal icon
- Hhakuuoohlaoks - 9 Lesser daemons (Blood Letters)
- Arableuerakiar - 8 Lesser daemons (Furies)
- Uuandearzao - 9 Lesser daemons (Plague Bearers)
- Squad Scrementor – 8 Raptors, 2 flamers, aspiring champion with power weapon, Icon of Chaos Glory
- Lauthelias - Farseer runes of warding runes of witnessing, spirit stones, doom, fortune
- 5 warlocks, enhance, embolden
- Laconfir - 8 Dire Avengers, Exarch with diresword, shuriken pistol, bladestorm
- Nazrain - 10 Guardians, starcannon
- Saduras Clearsight - 5 Rangers
- Amost - 1 Falcon, scatterlaser, holofield
- Isenrain - 9 Warpspiders, Exarch with deathspinners, powerblades, withdraw
- Sheira - 7 Howling Banshees, Exarch with executioner + wavesepent with starcannon
- 2 War Walkers - starcannon, brightlance
Gary had set the board up before we chose the mission. He had placed a stream up into the centre of the table with a lake bang in the middle. Unfortunately we rolled up a sabotage mission, so we had to improvise and remove the lake. We replaced it with some fuel storage tanks and put some rocks over the stream to represent a rocky spring. The rest of the battlefield consisted of rocks, woods and hills.
The Exigators come in from the north-west. Their plan is to butcher the nearest sentry in close combat and then sneak the rest of their forces closer to the objective. Chosen squad Myre were given the task by Lord Jaxx but the Eldar Guardian cried out before he died and the alarm was raised.
Farseer Lauthelias drives his forces north so they can bring their firepower to bear on squad Myre. Several Chosen fall before they can scramble behind the cover of a copse.
Furious at the the early discovery of the Chaos attack, Lord Jaxx joins the field. Squad Krall rumble forward in their Rhino, Raptor squad Scrementor fly in and Greater Daemon Ppbhuln'naks is summoned. The Plague Bearers and Bloodletters also tear their way into reality and the Exigators begin to look like they will overwhelm the field.
The Eldar summon their own reinforcements as the Wave Serpent flies in the Howling Banshees and the Falcon zooms in. Concentrated firepower decimates both lesser daemon units. In a surprisingly rash move Farseer Lauthelias charges forward with his retinue. They slam into squad Scrementor and kill three Raptors. Their plan is to disrupt and delay the main Exigator attack through the copse.
Squad Kanker and the Greater Daemon pitch in to help out the Raptors and they succeed in butchering the hapless Farseer and his warlocks. The Exigators then push every unit forward in a brutal frontal assault. Lord Jaxx himself crashes through a wood and slams into the Dire Avengers. Exarch Laconfir intercepts his old foe and rolls his Diresword around his wrist. With blinding speed he decapitates Sebastian Jaxx! Both army leaders are lost at the same time.
A hail of bolter fire drives off the Dire Avengers and the Guardians. A single surviving Plaguebearer takes his chance to rush forward and try to claim the objective.
The Eldar use their reinforcements to try and form a skimmer wall around the promethium tanks. The Falcons easily glides into place but the Wave Serpent clips a jagged rock and cartwheels into the ground. The surviving Banshees scramble from the wreckage. The Guardians step uo and blast the Plaguebearer back into the warp with their shuriken catapults.
The Exigators plough forward relentlessly toward the objective. The Greater Daemon charges into the spring and drives off the Rangers. Squad Scrementor use their jump packs to swoop on the promethium tanks.
The Eldar use the Warp Spiders to take down the Raptors, freeing up the storage tanks once again. The Falcon pushes back squad Krall.
Squad Krall riddle the Warp Spiders with bolter fire and then Squad Myre tie them up in close combat. The Greater Daemon crashes into the War Walkers and tears them apart. That leaves squad Kanker to race in and secure the promethium tanks. Although they suffer some casualties they tenaciously hang on to the objective.
- Chaos - Greater Daemon
- Eldar - Warp Spiders
The Wave Serpent crashing in the rocks.
- Things looked bad for my Chaos Space Marines early on. I hoped to win the 4+ sentry roll but didn't which meant I was only six inches onto the board with most of my forces. That in turn meant I was hoping that most of my daemons wouldn't summon in early otherwise they would have a long slog to the objective. Of course, I got all but one of the daemon units. The only plus side was that I could push all the models forward as one and exhaust the Eldar's ammunition supplies!
- Gary discovered the skimmer wall tactic in this battle and could have used it to deny me the objective. A failed dangerous terrain test let me back in but it threw up an interesting rules query. What happens to a unit when it's transport is destroyed in its own turn? By the rules as written it seems like you are free to move as normal for the rest of the turn and then you are pinned for the following turn. Ridiculous! In the end we sort of fudged it and the Banshees stayed where they were while my units ignored them.
Chaos Space Marines
- -400 Chaos Lord Sebastian Jaxx - Bike, Lightning Claw, Personal Icon
- +50 Squad Krall – 10 Chaos space marines, plasma gun, lascannon, aspiring champion with powerfist, icon of chaos glory, Rhino with Extra Armour
- -100 Squad Myre - 8 Chosen, 2 plasma guns, aspiring champion with powerfist
- +960 Ppbhuln'naks - Greater Daemon (Great Unclean One - I forgot the model so had to use my Daemon Prince model instead)
- +560 Squad Kanker - 7 Plague marines, plasma gun, flamer, aspiring champion with power weapon, personal icon
- -100 Hhakuuoohlaoks - 9 Lesser daemons (Blood Letters)
- -350 Arableuerakiar - 8 Lesser daemons (Furies)
- +500 Uuandearzao - 9 Lesser daemons (Plague Bearers)
- +370 Squad Scrementor – 8 Raptors, 2 flamers, aspiring champion with power weapon, Icon of Chaos Glory
- +1180 Lauthelias - Farseer runes of warding runes of witnessing, spirit stones, doom, fortune
- 5 warlocks, enhance, embolden
- -750 Laconfir - 8 Dire Avengers, Exarch with diresword, shuriken pistol, bladestorm
- -200 Nazrain - 10 Guardians, starcannon
- +610 Saduras Clearsight - 5 Rangers
- +1250 Amost - 1 Falcon, scatterlaser, holofield
- +930 Isenrain - 9 Warpspiders, Exarch with deathspinners, powerblades, withdraw
- +600 Sheira - 7 Howling Banshees, Exarch with executioner + wavesepent with starcannon
- -300 2 War Walkers - starcannon, brightlance