Campaign: Phoenix campaign game 7
1st turn: Eldar
Location: Newalla Town (location 7), Tyro Peninsula, Kutch, Salazar systems
Background: Having taken Emerald Ridge the Eldar press their advantage and sweep on down into Newalla Town. Eldar and Chaos Space Marine patrols clash in the deserted streets and both call in reinforcements.
Chaos Space Marines
- Chaos Lord Sebastian Jaxx - Bike, Lightning Claw, Personal Icon
- Squad Krall – 10 Chaos space marines, plasma gun, lascannon, aspiring champion with powerfist, icon of chaos glory, Rhino with Extra Armour
- Squad Brakar – 10 Chaos space marines, plasma gun, lascannon, aspiring champion with powerfist, icon of chaos glory
- Hhakuuoohlaoks - 9 Lesser daemons (Blood Letters)
- Arableuerakiar - 8 Lesser daemons (Furies)
- Uuandearzao - 9 Lesser daemons (Plague Bearers)
- Squad Scrementor – 8 Raptors, 2 flamers, aspiring champion with power weapon, Icon of Chaos Glory
- Torius - Predator with Twin-linked lascannon with heavy bolter sponsons, extra armour
- Atrocitor - Dreadnought, twin linked lascannon, Extra Armour
- Icareane - Autarch, Swooping Hawk wings, power weapon, fusion gun
- Lauthelias - Farseer runes of warding runes of witnessing, spirit stones, doom, fortune
- 5 warlocks, enhance, embolden
- Laconfir - 8 Dire Avengers, Exarch with diresword, shuriken pistol, bladestorm
- Nazrain - 10 Guardians, starcannon
- Saduras Clearsight - 5 Rangers
- Amost - 1 Falcon, scatterlaser, holofield
- Isenrain - 9 Warpspiders, Exarch with deathspinners, powerblades, withdraw
- Lothost - 5 Firedragons, exarch with fire pike
- Sheira - 7 Howling Banshees, Exarch with executioner + wavesepent with starcannon
Unfortunately we didn't have time to change the table set-up from our last game so it didn't reflect the location that well. I guess the fight could be taking place as the Eldar break out from Emerald Ridge?
Anyway, the Exigators won the initiative and deployed Squad Brakar near the centre while the Eldar started the battle with their Rangers hidden in a ruined building. Every other unit began in reserve.
The Exigators kicked things off by pushing Squad Brakar forward, using the shelter of the bunker to shield themselves from fire from the Eldar Rangers. The Rangers themselves stayed hidden in cover, patiently looking for targets.
Suddenly the silence was broken by the arrival of Chaos reinforcements. The Predator Torious gunned it's engines and faced off against the Rangers. The Dreadnought Atrocitor moved up alongside it. Together, their fire killed two Rangers. To their right Squad Scrementor flew in on their jump packs to support Squad Brakar. Lord Jaxx turbo-boosted his bike off to the left flank near a wood.
The Eldar Farseer Lauthelias and his retinue came in on this flank alongside the Warpspiders. The wood hid Jaxx from their firepower. Meanwhile the Dire Avengers and Fire Dragons came in near the Rangers, behind the stream.
The casualties had been remarkably light as the two armies jockeyed for position. Lord Jaxx summoned a unit of Bloodletters onto the left flank but then withdrew himself back to the centre. The only other Exigator reserves to arrive was Squad Krall in their Rhino. They zoomed up behind Squad Brakar who had continued to push up behind the bunker. The Raptors joined them.
The Exigators had now amassed a formidable force in the centre of the battlefield. Firepower from the Dreadnough and Predator killed two more Rangers and forced the survivors to fall back, never to return.
Autarch Icareane decided to join the fight and flew in behind the river. He commanded the Banshees in their Wave Serpent and the Guardians to face off against the strong Chaos centre. On the left, the Warp Spiders slaughtered numerous Bloodletters and then the Farseer finished them off with a devastating charge.
The Exigators showed their hand by summoning the rest of their Daemons into the centre of the field. The Raptors, Lord and Squad Krall pushed forward too and the Eldar were under severe pressure here. Things got worse for them when Squad Brakar managed to down the Wave Serpent with their plasma gun. Three of the Banshees died in the crash and the survivors were pinned.
The Eldar were in danger of being overrun so Icareane ordered his entire force forward. The Farseer and Warp Spiders had to be brave in particular as they had to come out into the open to oppose the Predator and Dreadnought.
The Exigators pressed their attack in the centre. The Plague Bearers assaulted the Guardians who broke before the Daemons onslaught. The Raptors chopped Icareane into tiny pieces and Squad Brakar killed three Fire Dragons despite their plasma gunner dying to an overheat.
The Eldar responded by reducing Squad Scrementor to just two Marines. The Howling Banshees cleared the wreckage of their transport and charged into squad Brakar. Only two Exigators died and the survivors crowded in to exact revenge.
Squad Krall turned back to take on the Warp Spiders. Adding their firepower to that of the Predator and Dreadnought they felt sure they could gut the squad. When the smoke cleared only four Warpspiders had died and the plasma gunner from Squad Krall had blown himself up.
The Eldar had a chance to respond. Farseer Lauthelias Charged into Squad Krall and slaughtered six. The three survivors broke and were cut down in contempt. Exarch Isenrain pushed his Warpspiders on and managed to get a few side shots into the Predator. One found it's mark and blew the tank to smithereens. The Eldar were turning the tide.
In the centre, the Banshees continued to cause heavy casualties on Squad Brakar. They managed to kill a total of four models before they were dragged down under a wave of Furies. Lord Jaxx was unable to join the fight due to the press of bodies so he accelerated away to threaten the Dire Avengers. He killed two with his combi-bolter and the Raptors killed two with their flamer. As both units prepared for the asssault they were disappointed to see the Dire Avengers fall back.
That meant that the Lord was an easy target for the Fire Dragons who blasted him into oblivion. The Falcon, which had been floating around on the fringe of the battle, killed the flamer Raptor and Scrementor himself, the only survivor of his squad, retreated from the field.
Dreadnought Atrocitor punished the Warp Spiders for their boldness by engaging them in close combat. He killed three in his fury and the survivors scattered to the four winds.
Farseer Lauthelias was dismayed by the demise of the Apsect Warriors so faced up to the Chaos construct. His witchblade skewered the sarcophagus of the Dreadnought and halted it.
The shattered remnants from both armies withdrew from the field.
- Chaos - Squad Brakar
- Eldar - Farseer and retinue
The plasma shot that took down the Wave Serpent.
- Another enjoyable game. My strategy was to look like I was going up the centre and taking the left flank only to pull back into a strong centre away from the left and strand the Eldar deployed there. It kind of worked but the Warp Spiders got 10 inches on their warp jump and I failed to deliver the killer blow against them (by my reckoning I should have gotten 6-7 kills). Then both the remaining Spiders and Farseer unit overperformed to decimate my units (the Farseer unit may as well have power weapons for the number of saves I make against them!).
- I dominated the centre, largely due to the lucky Wave Serpent shot, but made a few tactical errors which allowed the Eldar back into the game. Although the Howling Banshees were well screened by the wreck, the Guardians and Falcon I should have made more effort to wipe them out. That would have left the Fire Dragons and Dire Avengers on the fringe of the main scrap and I could have moved on to them next. As it was I was unsure about the rules for the wreck and decided I had enough models to take the initial charge. Again the Banshees overperformed and took some valuable victory points from my Exigators before they succumbed.
Chaos Space Marines
- -300 Sebastian Jaxx - Chaos Lord, bike, lightning claw
- -150 Squad Krall – 10 Chaos space marines, plasma gun, lascannon, aspiring champion with powerfist, icon of chaos glory, Rhino with Extra Armour
- -150 Squad Brakar – 10 Chaos space marines, plasma gun, lascannon, aspiring champion with powerfist, icon of chaos glory
- -250 Arableuerakiar - 8 Lesser daemons (Furies)
- +600 Uuandearzao - 9 Lesser daemons (Plague Bearers)
- -100 Hhakuuoohlaoks - 9 Lesser daemons (Blood Letters)
- +470 Squad Scrementor – 8 Raptors, 2 flamers, aspiring champion with power weapon, Icon of Chaos Glory
- -250 Torius - Predator, twin linked lascannon, heavy bolter sponsons
- -100 Atrocitor - Dreadnought, twin linked lascannon, Extra Armour
- +90 Icareane - Autarch, Swooping Hawk wings, power weapon, fusion gun
- +1280 Lauthelias - Farseer runes of warding runes of witnessing, spirit stones, doom, fortune
- 5 warlocks, enhance, embolden
- -650 Laconfir - 8 Dire Avengers, Exarch with diresword, shuriken pistol, bladestorm
- -100 Nazrain - 10 Guardians, starcannon
- +710 Saduras Clearsight - 5 Rangers
- +110- Amost - 1 Falcon, scatterlaser, holofield
- +860 Isenrain - 9 Warpspiders, Exarch with deathspinners, powerblades, withdraw
- -650 Lothost - 5 Firedragons, exarch with fire pike
- +450 Sheira - 7 Howling Banshees, Exarch with executioner + wavesepent with starcannon