Mission: Take and Hold
1st turn: Chaos Space Marines (lone pilgrim)
Chaos Space Marines (lone pilgrim)
- Daemon prince Lamprey - Mark of Chaos Undivided, Daemonic Stature, Daemonic Armour, Daemonic Aura, Daemonic Spawn, Dreadaxe
- SquadSurculus - 5 Possessed, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Daemonic Talons
- Squad Infractis – 7 Chaos Marines, Infiltrate, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Bolt pistols and Close combat weapons, 2 x Plasma Pistols, Aspiring Champion with Powerfist
- Squad Profuge - 7 Chaos Marines, Infiltrate, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Bolt guns, 2 x Plasma guns
- Squad Imber - 5 Havocs,Infiltrate, Mark of Chaos Undivided, bolt guns, 3 x Heavy Bolt guns
- Torius - Predator, Twin-linked Lascannons, Heavy Bolt gun Sponsons
- Atrocitor - Dreadnought, Twin-linked Lascannons
Gary was holding the objective right in the centre of the new ice wastes table. Since his whole army was either troops or heavy support he could set them up on the objective (barring the Lord who had to come on in reserve). My infiltrating units could set up on the table which helped in the first shooting phase, as the rest of my army came on in the first turn. The Predator, Daemon Prince and Possessed took my right flank, the Dreadnought, Havocs and shooty marine squad took the centre and the assault marine squad took my left.
I took out half of the Khorne unit on foot and one of the rhinos in the first turn, while I lost four havocs in return. On the second turn I killed two more berzerkers, a single havoc and the Dreadnought. My assaulty squad was charged by the remnants of the Khorne squad and took three casualties but killed both of the enemy then swept 12” right into the enemy Havocs.
On the right my Possessed were assaulted by the Khorne squad in the Rhino and killed five for only one casualty. In my next turn the survivors were slaughtered by the Daemon Prince who consolidated into cover while the Possessed swept toward the Havocs. The second enemy Rhino was destroyed and the sweeping Marines got caught in a stalemate with the Havocs (now the only squad on the objective).
The enemy Lord turned up from reserve this turn. The Khorne squad from the second rhino steamed into the combat on the objective and killed two models but the survivors refused to rout. My armed squad ran forward to take the objective on the fourth turn, helped by the Dreadnought rolling for frenzy and running 12 inches! The Possessed and the Dread slammed into the messy combat in the centre of the board, killing all but one of the enemy who promptly routed.
The only enemy model left was the Lord with Berzerker glaive who was out of charge range but was assaulted by the frenzied dreadnought (another 1) and the Possessed who had swept. The Possessed took him down after suffering two further casualties.
- Chaos Space Marines (lone pilgrim) The Possessed rocked! I seemed to roll numerous sixes and it is sweet not to have to worry about to wound rolls or armour saves. They even finished off a tooled up Lord. Definitely men of the match.
The first 12" sweep to tie up the Havocs.
- Infiltrate worked superbly here as it allowed me to set up the assault squad, shooting squad and Havocs ON the table at the start of the game. Normally they would have had to waste a turn moving onto the table before they shot.
- It helps to have good luck and the enemy to have bad. Out of four las-cannon shots I destroyed three vehicles and my enemy seemed to fail every armour save going.
- Force seemed well balanced with mobility in the Dreadnought, Predator and the sweeping assault elements. Decent shooting options with the dread, predator, Havocs and shooty marines.
- Don’t bunch havocs together, especially when the enemy has a plasma cannon.