Campaign: Destroy the Gargant campaign game 3
1st turn: Daemonhunters
Location: Celebes, Salazar systems, Skolarii Sector
Background: Having smashed through the Ork patrols, the Daemonhunters come upon the outer edges of the Gargant construction fields. A series of bunkers protects the approach to the camp, but Auguries have revealed the existence of a nearby generator building, which if destroyed will provide a diversion that will allow the Daemonhunters to bypass the bunkers.
- Inquisitor Lord Severus, Daemonhammer, Bolt pistol, Holocaust, Icon of the Just, 2x Acolytes, Power Armour, Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, Combat Servitor, Rhino with Smoke Launchers
- Squad Matoso, 9 Inquisitorial Stormtrooper,s Veteran, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Targeter, 2 x Flamer, Rhino, Extra Armour, Hunter-killer Missile, Smoke
- Armoured Fist Squad (inducted Imperial Guard), Sergeant, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Flamer, Chimera, Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Smoke Launchers
- Squad Seralvo, 6 Storm troopers, 2 x grenade launchers
- Brazhak Snitchtongue, Warboss, Mega Armour, MegaBooster, CyborkBody, 1 wartrukk big shooter
- 16 Greengobs SluggaBoyz, 3 Rokkits, Nob, Iron Gob
- 16 Tusk Sharpeye Shooter Boyz, Nob, 3 big shooter
- 5 Bang Boyz Tank Busterz, 3 rokkits
- 10 Grots with slaver
- 2 Killer Kanz
Terrain and deployment
The generator building was swarming with Orks as all troops and the HQ could start in the building. Only the Killer Kanz had to slog onto the battlefield.
The Killer Kanz are a long way from the action. Will they have time to make an impact?
Both of the rhinos and the stormtrooper squad on foot arrive from reserves, and rush toward their objective. The Daemonhost has teleported right into the heart of the Ork lines but how long will he survive?
The Daemonhost dies but takes a few grots with him. Squad Seralvo charges in to finish them off. Squad Matoso disembark from their rhino and toast nine Orks from the slugga boyz squad. With 21 boyz however, they don't even have to take a break test. Severus has had his rhino shot out from under him.
Squad Matoso pay the price for their boldness and are slaughtered by the surviving boyz. Squad Seralvo kill the grots then end up fighting the Warboss. Gulp!
Warboss BrazhakSnitchtongue kills the storm troopers with contempt and watches as Severus gets stuck into the boyz squad.
Finally the Imperial Guard show up...but everyone else is dead! They remain stationary and take a few pot shots at the Orks.
Again it would seem I had the ideal army to win this scenario but I never even got to touch the generator building. The first annoyance was the Imperial Guard not turning up until late in the game. So late in fact that the rest of my army was already destroyed. This meant my attack arrived piecemeal and was gobbled up unit by unit.
The second problem was Severus having his rhino blown up by the shoota boyz in the building. Why does everybody I play against roll sixes on the glancing table? This meant they arrived in the assault a turn late.
Third, was the slugga boyz. Squad Matoso had done well I thought in almost halving the slugga boyz unit but they were hammered by the survivors and died to a man. Those Orks are viscous!
Looks like I'll have to take those bunkers head on.