1st turn: Necrons
- Inquisitor Lord Kurven - Psycannon, Purity Seals, Gun Servitor, Plasma Cannon, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Targeter, 2 x Imperial Guard Veteran, Plasma Gun, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Targeter, 2 x Sage, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, 2 x mystics
- 3 x Death-Cult Assassins
- Inquisitor Lynch - Incinerator, null rod
- Squad Godirtho - 5 Storm troopers, Veteran Sergeant with Plasma pistol, 2 x meltaguns
- Squad Matoso - 5 x Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, Veteran, Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Targeter, 2 x Flamer, Rhino, Extra Armour, Hunter-killer Missile, Smoke
- Squad Vargas - 5 Storm Troopers, 2 Plasma guns
- Armoured Fist Squad (inducted Imperial Guard) - Sergeant, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Flamer, Chimera, Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Smoke Launchers, track guards, hunter killer missile, heavy stubber
- 20 warriors
- 6 immortals
- 10 flayed ones
- 5 pariahs
Although this game was on a green board (thank God I finally got a game away from the city fight table) it was packed with terrain, severely limiting the lanes of fire. I began with my chimera on the board, with the guardsmen deployed in a building nearby while my opponent started with a unit of warriors.
Because of the terrain, there wasn't a shot fired until turn 3. I brought squad Vargas and a death cult assassin on next to the guardsmen to hold my centre with Inquisitor Kurven to my right. Everything else bombed forward to engage the first Necron warrior squad who had moved into the cover of a large building. In a protracted fight the warriors were routed all the way to the board edge and although they subsequently rallied they were effectively out of the game.
However the Necron lord had arrived behind them and forced Squad Matoso to rout, putting them out of the game. The combat went on for an age with the Daemonhost and two death cult assassins still duking it out with the Lord when the game ended.
The Necrons tried a right flank attack of their own with the other warrior squad, the immortals, the pariahs and the flayed ones deep striking in. With the constant difficult terrain checks and poor shooting opportunities they caused minimal damage and on the turn they broke cover I killed the whole pariah squad and all but one of the flayed ones. In another turn they might have hit my lines but the game had ended.
- A good mission for me with most of my squads arriving from reserve deployed in vehicles, while the Necrons typical phalanx formation was disrupted.
- I got lucky with the Daemonhost who survived several turns with only one wound left then recovered them all. He held up the Necron Lord for six combat phases (with the help of two death cult assassins).
- The chimera worked well as a firebase, taking out a fistful of pariahs and flayed ones in a hail of fire.