Monday, October 29, 2007

SPACE MARINES - BLOOD ANGELS versus Chaos Space Marines

Game: Warhammer 40,000 4th edition
Opponent:
Gary
Mission: Take and hold
Level:
Gamma
1st turn:
Blood Angels
Points:
1500

Blood Angels

  • Mephiston
  • Chaplain with plasma pistol and jump pack
  • 8 Death company
  • 10 Assault marines, 2 plasma pistols
  • 5 Veteran assault marines, plasma pistol, powerfist
  • 5 Tactical marines, flamer, veteran with power fist in Razorback with lascannon
  • Venerable Furioso Dreadnought
  • Predator destructor with heavy bolter sponsors
Chaos Space Marines
  • Lord, Mark of Khorne, Juggernaught, Daemon weapon
  • Lord, Daemon weapon
  • Greater daemon
  • 8 Khorne Berzerkers
  • 8 Khorne Berzerkers
  • 8 Marines, Mark of Khorne, 2 plasma guns, champ with power fist
  • 2 Obliterators
  • Predator, twin lascannon, heavy bolters, possessed
  • Predator, twin lascannon, heavy bolters, possessed

Terrain and Deployment
There were several large area three buildings in a large oval around an empty killing ground in the middle of the table. The objective was right in the middle of this empty area.

The game
Gary won choice of first turn and gave it to me so that he would get the last crucial turn. I moved warily up each flank as you can see in the pictures.


You can just about see my Death Company and Dreadnought on the right while the Tactical marines in the Razorback, the Assault squad and Mephiston take the left. Gary used his two predators to screen his foot troops in the centre.

The Greater daemon summoned on from the Chaos Marine squad behind the vehicles. I continued to advance up each flank but left my own predator hidden in my deployment zone along with my Veterans.


On the third turn Gary turned his predators sideways in the centre to protect his infantry. I immobilised one with my predator and then destroyed it next turn. My Veterans used it for cover to advance in the centre.

Gary's Obliterators dropped in and killed some of my Assault marines. His marine squad walked around the corner of the building and double-tapped the Assault marines too. The second predator destroyed my Dreadnought as it broke cover. That was the first real action of the game and it left me smarting.

In reply, I flew Mephiston out of the Assault marines to charge a Berzerker squad. He only killed two of them and subsequently lost two wounds to their powerfist. Meanwhile, the depleted Assault squad attacked the Chaos marines. Against the odds the Blood Angels won the combat and ran down the fleeing traitors. Nice.


The regular Lord charged into Mephiston. The Greater daemon got the charge into my Veterans. The Juggernaught Lord and a Berzerker squad were close behind. The Obliterators destroyed my predator.

Mephiston showed his destructive potential by killing all six remaining Berzerkers. The Lord then took him out with eleven attacks on his daemon weapon.

There was now a big brawl on the objective. The Jugger Lord steamed in alongside the Greater daemon with his Berzerkers, while the Death company helped out the Veterans. The loyalists came out on top when the Lord rolled a double one for his daemon weapon.


I killed an Obliterator with the Razorback's lascannon but the accompanying Tactical squad was stranded too far from the objective with their poor terrain rolls (one inch movement followed by two inches in the next turn). This was kind of a blessing in disguise as they were also never in any danger so their victory points were preserved.


The last scoring unit on the objective, Gary's predator, was popped by my Razorback. That meant that no-one could take and hold the objective so my Blood Angels won on straight victory points.

Result: Win

Commendations
  • Blood Angels - Assault squad
  • Chaos - Obliterators
Turning point
My Assault squad winning the combat, against the odds, against the Chaos marines.

Learning points
  • An even tougher environment for Mephiston - 3 hidden powerfists, a Greater daemon, 2 Lords with daemon weapons of Khorne and two Obliterators. I might try someone else in my next game. He did kill an entire eight man Khorne Berzerker squad single-handedly, though!
  • I need some more bite in my Veterans and Assault squad - powerfists, power weapons and or melta/flamer/plasma weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment