Monday, February 23, 2009

IMPERIAL GUARD versus Space Marines

Game: Warhammer 40,000 4th edition
Opponent: Michael
Mission: Seek and Destroy
Level: Gamma
Location: Mangalore
Background: The Ultramarine Chapter of Space Marines hears tales of a Cadian army in the Skolarii Sector consorting with Cypher, the Radical Daemonhunter Severus and the mysterious Blood Angels. They send a small detachment to investigate and crush any heretics.
1st turn: Imperial Guard
Points: 1000

Imperial Guard
  • Command Squad 77, Captain Kennell Junior officer, Standard, 3 meltaguns
  • Infantry Platoon
  • Command Section 36, Lieutenant Dophan Junior Officer with Plasma Pistol and Power Weapon, 4 plasma guns
  • Infantry Squad 501, Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher
  • Infantry Squad 541, Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher
  • Infantry Squad 609, Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher
  • Armoured Fist Squad 812, Flamer, Chimera with Multi-laser and Heavy Bolter
  • Sentinel, Autocannon, Extra Armour
  • Sentinel, Multilaser, Searchlight
  • Sentinel, Multilaser, Smoke Launcher
  • Basilisk, Indirect Fire
  • Leman Russ, Heavy Bolter

Space Marines
  • Captain with power weapon and articifer armour
  • 2 x Venerable Dreads with ass cannons
  • 2 x Tactical squads with no heavy or special weapons!
  • 5 Devastators with 4 Heavy Bolters
  • 5 Devastators with 4 Missile Launchers

Background and Terrain
Michael challenged me to a game straight after my defeat to Gary's Chaos army. As I was busy rearranging my models (why oh why did I pick a Guard army?) I allowed him to set up the table. He took off virtually everything, leaving a couple of small forests and ruined buildings. Normally I would have warned him about my shooting capacity but he had just watched my army in action.

His friend also issued me with a warning; Michael was top of the league and really knew what he was doing.

Deployment
He had his Devs with missile launchers in a ruined building and his Devs with heavy bolters strung out along a hill. In front of them, near the centre he had one Tac squad and a Dread. Opposite my left flank he had his 2nd Tac squad, the 2nd Dread and the Captain.

I had my Bassie on the left with the Russ parked in front, with a Sentinel and Infantry squad for company. In the centre I had an Infantry squad and the Armoured Fist squad, with Captain Kennell's squad behind a ruined building. The rest was on the right.

The Game
I won first turn (yet again) and pounded his lines. I killed all of the missile launcher Devs and two of the heavy bolter squad, as well as stunning a Dread. Michael's return fire blew up the Chimera but caused no further casualties. He moved the central Tac squad into bolter range of an Infantry squad and began a firefight with them that lasted until the final turns of the game (I was in cover).

His assault on my left flank, led by the Captain, was peppered with ordnance, and only the Ultramarine leader made it. In the only close combat of the game, he killed an Infantry squad on the 6th turn.

Back in the centre I immobilised and destroyed the assault cannon on the Dread, and wore down the Tac squad to nothing.

A simple, straightforward win.

Result: Win - Victorious Slaughter

Victory Points: Guard 1514, Ultramarines 486

Imperial Control: -51%

Kennell's Commendation: The Leman Russ Gladiator for taking out a Devastator squad and loads of Tactical Marines.

Learning points
  • One look at Michael's army and I knew I had the game won. He compounded this imbalance by removing most of the scenery to create more firing lanes. In the event I did win very easily. I was shocked when I found out he was leading the campaign and had achieved several victorious slaughters with this list.
  • Although this version of my Guard list has lots of move and fire elements I ended up standing still and shooting like an old school SIGAFH (Shooty Imperial Guard Army From Hell). Boring to play, boring to play against. Not a particularly fun battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment