Monday, December 15, 2008

DAEMONHUNTERS versus Space Marines - Space Wolves

Game: Warhammer 40,000 3rd edition
Opponent: ?
Mission: Breakout
1st turn: Daemonhunters
Points: 1000

Daemonhunters
  • Inquisitor Lord Severus, Master-crafted Daemonhammer, Bolt pistol, Holocaust, Icon of the Just, Consecrated Scrolls, 2xAcolytes, Power Armour, Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, 1xAcolyte with power weapon and las pistol, Combat Servitor, Rhino with Smoke Launchers
  • Inquisitor Kurven, Psycannon, Power Armour, Gun Servitor, Plasma Cannon, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Targeter, 2 x Imperial Guard Veteran, Plasma Gun, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Targeter, 2 x Sage, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Mystic, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol
  • Callidus Assassin
  • 2 Daemonhosts
  • Squad Matoso, 10 Stormtroopers, 2xFlamers, Veteran Sergeant with Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon and Krak Grenades, Rhino, Smoke launchers and Extra Armour
  • Squad Godirtho, 9 Storm troopers, 2 plasma guns

Space Marines - Space Wolves
  • Lord with Frostblade
  • Priest with Frostblade
  • 2 blood claw packs - 1 in rhino
  • 1 grey hunter pack
  • Exterminator
  • Predator Annihilator

Terrain and deployment
This was my first game in the new store and I managed to get onto a six foot table. Who-hoo!

We decided to go for an unusual mission, just because we could, and ended up with a breakout. I was the attacker in the centre of the board trying to get past the Space Wolves. I placed the two rhinos facing the left board edge and Inquisitor Kurven and Squad Godirtho toward the right to keep my opponent guessing. The Daemonhosts and assassin would deep strike in later.

My opponent in turn set the rhino and exterminator on my left and the predator, grey hunters, bloodclaws on foot and rune priest on the right.

Normally in this mission I would attack the most mobile enemy group, hoping that the slower elements will be left behind on the far side of the board. In this game that would have meant rushing to my left. However, the terrain meant I had a more covered run to the board edge on the right, and I also wouldn't have to face an armour 14 Leman Russ. The right it was.

The game
I won first turn and peeled both rhinos to the right. Squad Godirtho and Inquisitor Kurven opened fire on the bloodclaws and killed six. Squad Matoso were deprived of their rhino by a lucky glancing hit, so they would be walking for the rest of the game.

The Daemonhosts arrived on the second turn so I placed them on my right in between the Grey Hunters and Blood claws - both rolled the ability to assault immediately. Together with Squad Matoso firing their flamers and charging and Severus pushing his rhino further to the right I was threatening to completely overwhelm the flank.

The Daemonhosts rolled effective powers and did for the Grey Hunters and remaining Blood Claws but the Rune Priest broke Squad Matoso and sent them running back to the centre of the board. The Rune Priest was then charged by the newly arrived Callidus assassin and Squad Godirtho who just managed to finish him off.

Meanwhile, on the right I had managed to immobilise the rhino with the Blood Claws and Lord so they were slogging over the board toward Kurven. In the nick of time a Daemonhost materialised behind them and charged. The Space Wolves had to pull back to deal with him and that put them out of the game. The Exterminator on that side killed half of Inquisitor Kurven's retinue and all of the routing Squad Matoso but played little part in the scenario.

I had a bit of a scare late on when the Predator managed to tank shock Squad Godirtho who routed 7" away, but they rallied immediately and sneaked off the board with Inquisitor Severus.

Another win for the Daemonhunters.

Result: Win

Learning points
  • Good to play a different scenario on a full-size board. Hopefully this will happen more frequently in the future when the Battle Bunker opens.
  • My opponent was returning to 40k after a 9 month lay-off and was a bit 'rules rusty.' This led to a few rules disagreements and we had to call the staff in a couple of times to arbitrate. I'd far rather settle disputes myself and can usually sort them quickly and without fuss, but these were for daft things; if you roll double 1 on your difficult terrain test can you assault 2" into the terrain or do you get an immediate and extra 'free' shot after a sweeping advance(!).
  • This was a tough scenario for me because the assassin and Daemonhosts couldn't fulfill the victory conditions so it only left four viable squads, and therefore two would have to leave the board. Two of those four were on foot and I had to advance straight at the Space Wolves. When my lead rhino got destroyed in the first shot of the game I was facing an uphill struggle but the arrival of the Callidus and Daemonhosts was crucial.
  • I forgot to use the assassin's 'word in your ear' rule yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment