Monday, October 27, 2008

SPACE MARINES - BLOOD ANGELS versus Space Marines - Crimson Fists

Game: Warhammer 40,000 5th edition
Opponent: ?
Mission: Seize Ground
Deployment: Pitched Battle
1st turn: Space Marines - Crimson Fists
Points: 1000
Location: 677.M37, Ryuk, Hexen Sub, Skolarii sector
Background: Miles behind the frontlines, the Crimson Fists find the bodies of several citizens of Ryuk drained of blood and horribly butchered. Their investigations lead them to a foe hiding out in the ruined hab zones of Purser IV. To the Crimson Fists' horror they discover the Blood Angels are behind the ritualistic murders...

Blood Angels
  • Chaplain, plasma pistol, jump pack
  • 5 Death Company Marines with jump packs
  • 10 Tactical Marines, flamer, Vet sergeant with Powerfist, missile launcher, Rhino
  • 5 Tactical Marines, melta gun, Vet sergeant with Powerfist, Razorback with las cannon
  • Furioso Dreadnought, Venerable, Death Company
  • Predator Destructor with autocannon and heavy bolter sponsons
Space Marines - Crimson Fists
  • Pedro Kantor
  • 5 Sternguard, 2 plasma cannon
  • 10 Tactical Marines, Missile Launcher, Plasma gun
  • 5 Vanguard, Rhino
  • 2 Speeders, each with 2 Heavy Bolters
  • 5 Scouts, Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher
  • 5 Scouts, Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher

Background
This was my first game against the new 5th edition Space Marines.

Terrain and deployment
The table was 6'x4' and had ruined buildings spread evenly across it; one building in every two square feet. I gave my opponent choice of table edge and first turn. There were three objectives, one in a building on the far right near my opponent's deployment zone and two on my left, one again in a building near my opponent's deployment zone and the other in the open close to my lines.

I deployed the Death Company and Dreadnought out on the right with the rest of my force on the left. My plan was to control the objective closest to me on the left then contest the one beyond and contest the one on the right with my Death Company and Dreadnought.

The game
Kantor called down his bombardment but only killed two marines. Other shooting was ineffectual against my largely hidden army. The Scouts and Sternguard moved forward on each flank to take an objective.

My Death Company zoomed up the right flank. They took two casualties on the way in but butchered both Scout squads over four turns. The Dreadnought trundled up behind.

On the left I advanced cautiously, peppering the central Tactical squad with fire. I carefully shield my troops from the Strenguard with terrain.

The central Tactical squad had to break right to take on the Death Company. They eventually wiped out the Death Company but then became embroiled in a fist fight with the Dreadnought. The fight was still ongoing on the last turn of the game so the objective was contested.

Meanwhile, the real game turned upon the other two objectives. I easily controlled the closest with the Razorback Tactical marines and remnants of the heavy weapon combat squad Tactical marines, despite a last gasp charge by Kantor. In a jammy round of combat I took him out with the rifle buts of the regular marines before he got to swing!

My Predator was providing covering fire nearby. The rest of the Tactical marines drove up in their rhino to contest the objective near the Sternguard. I used my overcharged engines to get within three inches on turn five but the game continued. Kantor and the Vanguard only immobilised the rhino, which meant it could still contest the objective in turn six. I disembarked the squad and took on the Sternguard. If I could wipe them out I might actually control two objectives!

Unfortunately for me the game went to the 7th turn which allowed Kantor to assault the squads around my objective. The Vanguard steamed into my Tactical Marines on his objective but bounced off.

Result: Win (1 objective to 0)

Learning points
  • This was the game when I had that 'lightbulb' moment, when I suddenly realised the difference between 4th and 5th edition. I focused on the taking the objective and conserving my troops at the cost of killing the enemy. I took a pounding but won the game. Lesson learned.
  • I was unlucky with the game going to turn seven when I was winning in turns five and six. A couple of lucky combats went my way at the end to give me the win.
  • This will be my final list for the Gauntlet tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment