Monday, August 25, 2008

DAEMONHUNTERS versus Witch Hunters

Game: Warhammer 40,000 3rd edition
Opponent: Ken
Campaign: Vogen campaign game 7
Mission: Recon
1st turn: Daemonhunters
Points: 1000

Daemonhunters
  • Inquisitor Lord Severus, Daemonhammer, Bolt pistol, Psychic Hood, Icon of the Just, 2x Acolytes, Power Armour, Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, 1x Acolyte with Close Combat weapon and las pistol, 3xCombat Servitor, 3x Mystics, Rhino with Smoke Launchers, Hunter Killer missile, Searchlight
  • Inquisitor Kurven, Psycannon, Power Armour, Emperor's Tarot, Purity Seals, Gun Servitor, Plasma Cannon, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Targeter, 2x Imperial Guard Veteran, Plasma Gun, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Targeter, 2x Sage, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Hierophant, Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol
  • Daemonhost
  • Eversor Assassin
  • Squad Matoso, 7 Stormtroopers, 2 meltaguns, Rhino, Smoke launchers, Extra Armour, Hunter Killer Missile
  • Squad Godirtho, 5 Stormtroopers, 2 plasma guns
  • Squad Seralvo, 5 Stormtroopers, 2 Grenade Launchers
  • Squad Vargas, 5 Stormtroopers, 2 Flamers
  • Squad Devaux, 5 Stormtroopers

Witch Hunters
  • Shooty Inquisitor with retinue
  • 2 Sister Squads on foot with flamers and melta-guns
  • Exorcist
  • Retributors with 4 Heavy Bolters
  • Repressor vehicle with Heroine and retinue

Vogen Campaign
I knew this game would be tough as Ken was leading the campaign and is a strong player, his army was 75 points bigger than mine, and he had a significant firepower advantage. Additionally, it was the first time I was to face the new Witchhunters and was a bit ignorant of their capabilities. Regardless of the result though, I knew the game would look good as Ken has a very well painted army with some cool conversions.

Terrain and Deployment
We managed to bag a six foot table in the Battle Bunker. There was very little terrain, however, and what there was was strung out along the centre of the board. I had a largish wood to my left, a building in the centre and open plains on my right, facing a second wood.

Ken won the dice off and set his Heavy Bolter toting Retributors up in the wood on my right, completely dominating that side of the board. Consequently I set most of my army up behind the woods on my left, planning to use the cover to get within range of the Sisters. My firebase of Kurven and Squad Godirtho, screened by Squad Devaux, began more centrally, facing off against Ken's Inquisitor and Exorcist.

The Callidus used her special ability to put Inquisitor Kurven's Squad back 6" and up on a hill.

The Game
I won the first turn and gambled on getting some early shots in with the Hunter-Killer missiles on my Rhinos. A couple of ones later and I knew I would pay. Squads Vargas and Seralvo, along with the Eversor Assassin, pushed through the woods on my extreme left. Inquisitor Kurven moved back into his original position.

Return fire from the Sisters killed the Eversor Assassin (shot down by bolters - oh the shame!) and most of Squad Godirtho, along with a couple of Inquisitor Kurven's retinue. Ken had moved his Retributors forward on my right as they had no targets at all, and his Repressor pushed forward toward my firebase.

Turn two, and my Daemonhost arrived from reserve. I placed him on the table, rolled ANOTHER double one for deep striking and took him straight back off the table. Squad Matoso raced forward and unloaded two meltagun shots at the Repressor. Two misses. Squad Seralvo shot two Krak grenades into the side armour of the Exorcist. No damage. Kurven and co shot at the Repressor. Nothing.

I was screwed.

Ken quickly mopped up most of my army in the following turns. He disposed of my firebase with the Callidus Assassin, and his Sister firing squads mowed down Squads Vargas and Seralvo. I briefly rallied when Severus assaulted the Heroine's squad who had dismounted from the rhino, but Ken used faith points cleverly to control the combat. I won easily but that left Severus hanging in the breeze with an entire Witchhunters army shooting at him.

Result: A convincing defeat.

Campaign effect: None

Campaign results: Played 7, Won 6, Lost 1

Learning points
  • Let me get this straight. I lost a Daemonhost during deep strike in two games, one straight after the other? I've played seven campaign games and lost the Daemonhost THREE times? Did I say that is UNBELIEVABLE?
  • I was worried by the firepower of the new Witchhunters, especially their heavy bolters, and let this dictate my set-up. The lack of scenery on the table didn't help much either. Wait until I've got my Guardsmen up and running.
  • I wonder what would have happened if I had destroyed the Exorcist on turn 1 and popped the Repressor on turn 2? If the Daemonhost had appeared? If the Eversor had gotten a charge off? Damn it, I need to change my dice.

No comments:

Post a Comment